Friday, March 7, 2014

Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Vegan)

Hey everyone! I've been on a mission to make a healthier coffee cake that actually tastes like real coffee cake. I remember in my freshman year of college before I started eating really healthy, one of my favorite dining halls (Whitney for all of you huskies) used to have the most AMAZING coffee cake. And then one day I looked up the nutrition info on the dining hall website, and I think one piece had about 500 calories. Needless to say, that pretty much turned me off from eating coffee cake anymore...until now! This recipe also just so happens to be vegan. I hope all of you coffee cake lovers out there enjoy it!

Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup spelt flour or oat flour
1/2 cup baking stevia
1/2 tbs ground flaxseeds
2 tbs coconut oil, melted
1 1/4 cups almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs baking powder
1 tbs cinnamon
pinch of sea salt

Ingredients for crumbly streusel topping:
1/3 cup spelt or oat flour
2-3 tbs coconut oil
1/4 cup chopped nuts
2 tbs dark brown sugar
2 tbs baking stevia
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. Mix flour, baking stevia, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in one bowl. Mix flaxseeds, vanilla, and coconut oil in a separate bowl. Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry, mixing as you pour. Pour batter into a square pan greased with non-stick spray. Combine ingredients for streusel in a small bowl...I found it easiest to use my fingers. Mix until it's crumbly, and if it's too wet add more flour. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome recipe... and its Gluten-Free too! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete