Monday, May 13, 2013

Sweet Potato Protein Waffles

I got a waffle maker as a gift for graduation and so I'm obsessed with it! I love breakfast food and I've been dying to make waffles, so now that I can I've been trying out different recipes everyday.  This is the first waffle recipe that I've made that came out perfect on the first try! These waffles are high in protein as well as complex carbs from the sweet potato, so they're a perfect post-workout meal... or whenever :)

Dry Ingredients:
-1 scoop whey protein powder (any would probably work. I used Cellucor Cor-performance Cinnamon Swirl... just make sure it's a hefty scoop!)
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-3 packets stevia
-lots of cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
-1/2 baked sweet potato. (The one I used was small/medium sized. Bake it in the microwave-- I fork it and heat it for ~7 minutes)
-2 egg whites (or 1/3 cup)
-Splash of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk

While your waffle maker is heating up, make the baked sweet potato in the microwave, and mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. When the sweet potato is done, peel off the skin and mash it into the bowl of dry ingredients. Then add the rest of the wet ingredients.  Make sure you are mashing the sweet potato into the mixture well.  Note: The batter may seem a little liquidy (I'm not sure how thick waffle batter is supposed to be) but don't worry they turn out thick and fluffy!
Pour the batter onto the waffle maker and let it bake until it's golden brown! I topped mine with Walden Farms calorie-free syrup and that's all it needed :)














Nutrition Information (will vary depending on the protein you use): 237 calories, 18g carbs, 36g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment