Monday, May 27, 2013

Protein-Packed Zucchini Avocado Quesadilla

Hey everyone! I posted this recipe on my Instagram a few days ago but for those of you who don't use Instagram I figured I'd share the recipe here.  It's seriously the best quesadilla I've had in so long and it's packed with protein and veggies! And it's low carb as well if you use the right tortilla.

Ingredients:
-1 low carb tortilla/pita (I use Joseph's Low Carb Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Pita)
-Plain Greek Yogurt (I use Chobani 0% fat)
-Fat-free cottage cheese
-Avocado
-Zucchini
-Spinach
-Ground chicken or chicken strips (Pre-cooked, I use Perdue 98% Extra Lean Ground Chicken)
-Spices: Mrs. Dash, Garlic Powder, whatever you want!

Directions:
Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and turn to medium heat. While that's heating up, lay out your tortilla.  When I make a quesadilla I put all of my ingredients on one half of the tortilla and fold it in half but you can do it however you'd like.  First make the avocado spread by combining 1/4 of an avocado, 2 tbsp greek yogurt, 2 tbsp cottage cheese, and your spices (I used my mini food processor but you could mash the avocado and mix it well).  Spread that onto the tortilla.  Then place a layer of slices of zucchini on top-- I think I used 5 slices because the pita I used is small.  On top of that, place a layer of spinach. Then for the final layer, the chicken (can omit if vegetarian).  Fold the tortilla (careful because it'll be pretty packed!) and place on the pan.  Flip after that side has browned; it should only take a few minutes per side!



Nutrition Information (will vary based on tortilla used): 250 calories, 9g fat (remember avocado= healthy fat!), 36g protein, 16g carbs (7g fiber so 9 net carbs).


No comments:

Post a Comment