Thursday, April 18, 2013

Parmesan Zucchini "Fries"

Hey everyone! I've been meaning to post this recipe for a while. Lately I've had an obsession with zucchini, I literally put it in everything... veggie stir-fry, my egg white omelette in the morning, etc. My absolute favorite way to eat zucchini is baking them like "fries." I put fries in quotations because they aren't exactly like fries...but if I called them something else like parmesan zucchini strips that sounds super lame-- guess I gotta get more creative with my recipe names!  But anyway, most recipes for zucchini fries require bread crumbs to make them crispy like actual fries, but I didn't want the extra carbs! So here's what I do instead, and although they aren't exactly like fries they still taste amazing!

Ingredients for 1 serving (for one person):
1 medium zucchini
1/4 cup Egg Whites (doesn't have to be exact)
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Garlic Powder
Mrs. Dash

Preheat the oven to 425F.  Spray a baking sheet well with non-stick cooking spray.  Put the egg whites in one small bowl, and the parmesan cheese in another separate bowl (no exact amount...I just pour a little in the bowl, you can always add more but I think it's around 1/4 cup).  Cut the zucchini into strips the size of fries.  Dip the zucchini strips into the egg whites, then dip into the parmesan cheese so they are completely covered. Place on the baking sheet.  Sprinkle garlic powder and Mrs. Dash (any flavor).  Bake for about 15 minutes, flipping them half way.  For the last few minutes, I change my oven to broil on high.



Per serving: 78 calories, 5 g carbs, 3 g fat, 8 g protein.


2 comments:

  1. I kinda wanna try making these, but I usually have trouble with zucchini and soft-texture veggies like squash. If I follow the recipe in terms of cook time, do these come out crunchy? Either way, these look delicious and I will give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they aren't really crunchy/crispy! My goal was to make them a lower carb option so I didn't use breadcrumbs, which would make them crunchy and more like fries. They still taste amazing I promise :)

      Delete