Monday, December 23, 2013

Pumpkin Protein Donuts

I whipped up some pumpkin donuts for dessert tonight and to have for a quick breakfast tomorrow because I have to be into work at 6:30AM! Not exactly the most ideal way to start off Christmas Eve, but I only have 2 more days of working at GNC so I'm trying to make the best of it. These are a perfect way to start off the morning. Unlike regular donuts, they're high in protein, gluten-free, grain-free, and no refined sugar. I had 3 for dessert tonight and I'll probably have the other 3 in the morning. I'll take these donuts over one 300-calorie donut from Dunkin any day!

Ingredients:
-3/4 cup pumpkin puree
-1 scoop vanilla protein powder (cinnamon flavored would be good too)
-2 tbsp almond flour
-1/4 cup egg whites
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp maple extract
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp pumpkin spice
-stevia to taste (I used 3 tbsp baking stevia--I prefer sweeter baked goods)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet ingredients in another. Then combine wet into dry. Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray and pour the batter into each donut well, making 6 donuts. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring them out of the pan. 
These could also be made into muffins, but they would just need to bake longer. I topped a few of mine with maple glaze (mixture of sugar-free maple syrup and coconut flour), and they also taste delicious with peanut butter, greek yogurt, or as is!

Nutrition Information (for 1 out of 6 donuts): 54 calories, 1.5g fat, 3g carbs, 1 g fiber, 7g protein




No comments:

Post a Comment