Sunday, November 17, 2013

Single Serving Gingerbread Cake

Christmas is a little over a month away and it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but as soon as Halloween passed I was ready to get into the holiday spirit! As much as I love fall flavors like pumpkin and maple, my absolute favorite flavors have to be sweet holiday flavors like gingerbread and sugar cookie. It's so tempting to buy all the holiday goodies that I see at Target and the grocery store but so far I've resisted! It's not really a problem anymore because this single-serving gingerbread cake is sweet, moist, and the best part...healthy! I can easily have something gingerbread-flavored whenever I have a craving for it without the calories and sugar that you get from the baked goods at the store. This recipe is also very versatile! Using different spices and extracts can change the flavor to pretty much anything that you're in the mood for! I'll include a variation to make a chocolate chip cookie cake because that's another one of my favorites.

Ingredients:
3 tbsp oat flour
1.5 tbsp plain greek yogurt
1.5 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1.5 tbsp egg whites
1-2 packets stevia
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp molasses (I use blackstrap)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger (or more but a lot of ginger is too spicy for me)

*For chocolate chip cookie cake, omit molasses, cinnamon, and ginger. Add 1/4 tsp butter extract and 1 tsp chocolate chips/dark chocolate chips/carob chips etc.
**This recipe is also gluten-free if you use gluten-free oat flour, like I do. I also like to use Enjoy Life chocolate chips, which are allergen-friendly.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Spray a mini-loaf pan or ramekin with non-stick cooking spray, and pour in the mixture. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Top with greek yogurt "frosting," peanut butter, anything you'd like!




Approximate Nutrition Information (for gingerbread version): 142 calories, 2g fat, 21g carb, 2g fiber, 9g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment