Friday, November 22, 2013

Healthy Banana Bread

When I was little, banana bread was probably one of my most favorite things that my mom used to bake. When I got older and started to eat healthier, I tried to recreate her banana bread recipe so many times. I was determined to make one that still had the rich flavor and moist texture of her banana bread, but with some healthy swaps for the butter, sugar, and flour. I can't tell you how many failed attempts I had trying to create the perfect recipe, but I finally nailed it! My mom even approved :) 

Compared to most banana bread recipes, this is lower in calories and carbs, and higher in protein. It's also grain-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and paleo friendly.

Ingredients:
-3/4 cup mashed banana (~2 bananas, make sure they're very ripe)
-1 cup almond meal
-1/4 cup coconut flour
-1/4 cup baking stevia (or honey or agave)
-2 eggs (room temp is best)
-2 tbsp melted coconut oil
-1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp sea salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet in another. Then pour wet into dry. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper. Pour in the batter and make sure it's evenly distributed in the pan. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Let it cool before cutting into slices.

 


It was so good that I even had it for dessert one night! Topped with sugar-free vanilla coconut milk ice cream and some peanut butter :) Also perfect for breakfast or a mid-day snack!


No comments:

Post a Comment